The holiday season can be a real challenge for those who are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes eating nutritious foods to maintain your body at optimum levels. While we may not get away with substituting the main course with a healthier choice (tofu turkey comes to mind), there are plenty of healthy side dishes that you can prepare for your Thanksgiving feast. Because we know how busy life can get, so we put the extra effort into finding recipes that are fairly simple and easy to make.
Honey and Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
4 peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Set the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a single layer, layout the sweet potatoes in a cooking tray. Drizzle oil, honey, cinnamon, and lightly sprinkle salt and pepper over the potatoes. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes until tender .
- Transfer potatoes to a serving platter and drizzle with more olive oil.
2 pounds carrots
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ tablespoons chopped dill
- Peel the carrots and cut them diagonally into ¼-inch slices. Place the carrots, ⅓ cup water in a large saute pan. Add salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and cook over medium-low heat for 7 to 8 minutes until the carrots are cooked through. Add butter and saute until the water evaporates and carrots are coated.
- Remove from heat, toss with dill, and serve.
Orange-Scented Green Beans
Peel from 1 orange
2 pounds trimmed green beans
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons fresh chives
- Bring a pan filled with 2 inches of water to a boil.
- Add orange peel and beans.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes. The beans should keep their snap.
- Drain beans and return to the pan.
- Remove peel.
- Toss with butter, salt, and chives then transfer to a serving dish.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
1 pound Brussels sprouts
½ cup toasted walnuts
2 Tablespoons grated Romano cheese
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Using an adjustable blade slicer, thinly slice leaves of Brussels sprouts into a medium bowl.
- Add walnuts and cheese.
- Finely grate lemon rind into the bowl; cut the lemon in half and squeeze so that the juice is added to the bowl.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine.
Arugula and Wild Rice Salad with Lemon Dressing
1 cup wild rice
½ cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon of olive oil
5 ounces arugula
½ cup coarsely chopped basil
½ cup dried tart cherries or cranberries, chopped
½ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
¼ cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1 medium clove garlic, pressed or minced
¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook wild rice until the rice is tender but still offers a light resistance to the bite. Cover and let cooked rice rest for 10 minutes, then remove lids and let the rice cool.
- Toast the almonds by warming up one teaspoon olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the almonds and pinch of salt and cook until they’re turning lightly golden and fragrant.
- Blend together dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Transfer the cooled rice to a large bowl. Add arugula, chopped basil, almonds, sour cherries, and feta.
- Pour in the dressing, toss well, and season to taste. Set aside for 10 minutes before serving to give the rice time to soak up some of the dressing.
Cranberry Maple Skillet Cornbread
1 stick unsalted butter
1 ½ cups medium grind cornmeal
1 ½ cups white or regular whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
dash of cinnamon
1 ½ cups buttermilk (room temperature)
½ cup maple syrup
1 ½ cup fresh cranberries
- Set the oven at 375 degrees and place a rack in the middle. In a 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet, place a stick of butter and place in the oven to melt.
- Blend cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a separate bowl.
- Blend together milk, eggs, and syrup in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Remove the skillet when the butter is melted and swirl to coat the skillet. Pour the melted butter into the batter, add the cranberries and stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter mixture into the skillet. Place the skillet back in the oven and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
Healthy Potato Gratin with Herbs
1 ½ tablespoon (plus a little more for the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
1 ½ teaspoons chopped thyme
½ teaspoon chopped rosemary
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 pounds medium red potatoes, very thinly sliced
- Set the oven at 400 degrees and oil an 8-inch round cake pan. Place parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and oil the paper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil. Add the shallots and cook at medium heat for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle in rosemary and thyme and cook for an additional minute. Pour in the chicken broth and leave on heat until the mixture begins to a boil. Cook about 10 minutes until the broth is reduced to ¾ cup .
- Arrange an overlapping layer of potato slices in the cake pan. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and spoon a small amount of reduced broth on top. Repeat the layering with the remaining potatoes. Once you have finished layering, pour any remaining broth on top.
- Cover the pan with a sheet of oiled parchment paper and then a sheet of foil. Bake the gratin until potatoes are very tender (right around an hour). Remove the foil and paper and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on. Remove the gratin from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Invert the gratin onto a heatproof plate. Carefully remove the parchment round. Broil the gratin 6 inches from the heat until the surface is lightly browned (about 2 minutes).
NYOS – Your Partner in Health
At NYOS, we understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle. That is why we only carry quality CBD products like our Premium Hemp CBD Oil Tinctures and our Premium Hemp CBD Softgels. Give us a call or order online today!
Today’s woman is a juggler. Our entire lives are a balancing act, and most of us walk the balance beam of life with grace and competence. We balance our children’s needs, our partner’s needs, and our own needs like a pro. But even the best of us have bad days, weeks, and in a year like 2020, even bad months or years. Why? Because it is not easy to take care of the world and ourselves without a few balls dropping every now and again. Unfortunately, what women tend to ignore when the going gets tough is themselves. We ignore our own well-being and health before we ignore the needs of our families. But we all need to take a breath and remember that you must put on your oxygen mask first before you can really help anyone else – and the wellness benefits of CBD can be a tremendous first step in necessary self-care.
What Is CBD?
The initials, CBD, stand for cannabidiol. Cannabidiol is a compound that is extracted from the cannabis family of plants. However, only CBD extracted from the hemp strain of the cannabis species of plant is federally legal to manufacture and sell throughout the United States, and only if that extract contains less than .3% THC. The good news is this miniscule amount of THC does not cause psychoactive side effects in our bodies.
Our bodies possess an endocannabinoid system that cannabinoids like CBD work together with. The purpose of this system is to maintain a healthy state of homeostasis or balance within the rest of our bodies. Our bodies actually produce their own cannabinoids that react to cannabinoid receptors to help regulate mood, appetite, metabolism, reproductive cycles, sleep cycles, and much more. The addition of CBD can assist our bodies in this regulation. What is even more encouraging is that CBD is not addictive like many other remedies we tend to seek, and can be used as often as needed for fast-acting, long-lasting support.
How Can CBD Benefit Women’s Health?
Here are just a few ways that CBD can help a woman balance her day more effectively.
A productive day starts with a good night’s sleep, and CBD can help with that. Taken before bedtime, studies have shown that CBD can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer to get a truly restful night’s sleep.
There are many reasons that a woman’s mood may fluctuate – from misbehaving kids, to natural hormonal changes, to unreasonable bosses. Scientists have discovered that CBD activates the 5-HT1A serotonin receptor in the brain, which is responsible for regulating mood and other feelings like worry. Feeling more emotionally balanced promotes happiness as well as productivity, and can make lasting through rough days a little less rough.
When life’s demands are at their peak, brain fog can be a problem. Waking up feeling like your brain is out of kilter with no logical explanation or known way of alleviating this fog can make the day’s tasks seem that much more impossible. CBD oil is known to improve mental clarity and focus so that you can more effectively take on the challenges of the day.
Most of us care about our appearance. As we age, our responsibilities tend to increase, and the youthful glow of yesteryear can seem like a distant memory as the stress of caring for our families begins to show. We are beautiful inside and out, and given the choice, most of us would want our beauty to shine inside and out as well. Luckily, many retailers offer CBD infused beauty products that can help to accomplish this goal. When combined with other beneficial ingredients, these products can help reduce dark spots on our skin, even out skin tone, reduce pores, and bring a true glow back to your complexion.
Body aches are another scourge that needs to be eliminated to the greatest extent possible so that we can physically function in life. A sore back can ruin your day even when you have the best of intentions. So whether your body aches stem from over-strenuous workouts, making beds, walking in heels, chasing too many toddlers around the playground, or from natural hormonal changes that happen as we age, some type of remedy is needed. The amazing properties of CBD include the ability to effectively relieve aches in muscles and joints throughout the body without the unwanted side effects of other pain relievers.
As the day approaches its end and it’s time to enjoy the evening, some of us can have a hard time winding down and relaxing. As we try to relax, thoughts of tomorrow make an unwelcome appearance in our minds, and we can suddenly see ourselves planning and worrying about tomorrow instead of enjoying the fruits of today’s labor. We deserve to relax at the end of a stressful day, and CBD products can help turn off our mental “to do” list so that we can let go and relax in the present moment. Relaxing is not a luxury, it is a necessity if we don’t want to burn out. So take that siesta and allow CBD to help.
NYOS – For Your Health!
Today’s woman wears many hats and takes on many responsibilities. Taking time to care for yourself is not an option if you wish to make it through the long haul. For the sake of yourself and your loved ones, take the time to do what needs to be done for you. At NYOS, we’re here to be your partner in health when you need quality CBD products to assist you in your wellness journey.
Our Premium Hemp CBD Softgels with Melatonin combine CBD goodness with melatonin to help you fall asleep faster and get a more restful night’s sleep so that you are ready for anything the next day.
Our Premium Hemp CBD Softgels with Curcumin provides long-lasting relief from body aches by combining CBD with ache-fighting curcumin. When paired with our Premium Hemp CBD Salve, you can get fast-acting relief, right where you need it the most.
When it comes to pampering yourself, how about a soothing bath to take the edge off? Our new NYOS Bath Bombs are a great addition to your bathwater and will make you feel like you have a high-end spa, right in your own home.
You can conveniently order these or any of our other fabulous products from our extensive inventory online or by giving us a call, and we will deliver our premium quality CBD products right to your door!
Start treating yourself today!